You really don’t need extra incentives to dine at Verjus Restaurant in Maplewood. The cozy spot, serving contemporary French/New American cuisine, is consistently named as a top restaurant in New Jersey. But chef Charlie Tutino and wife Jane Witkin, his partner in life and food, have been making ever Friday night special in its own way.
Summer time brought Shore Dinners to start the weekend, and fall and winter have brought a travelogue of spotlighted cuisines from Portuguese to Italian to German.The results show that Tutino is not only gifted in French/American food, and happy diners are benefiting from his culinary wanderlust.
Case in point: A recent “Portuguese Night French Style” at Verjus included Caldo Verde (potato and chard soup with chirizo sausage), Pasteis de Bacalhau (salt cod fritters with spicy milk mayonnaise), Carne Assada em Vinha d’Alhos, and Bolo de Laranja (orange olive oil cake with whipped cream).
Upcoming Friday Nights delights:
- December 14, 2018 — Italian Night
- December 21, 2018 — Bistro Night (French home-style cooking)
- December 28, 2018 — German Night
A few fun facts about Verjus:
- Verjus opened in June, 2001, first for dinner, but soon adding lunch and Sunday brunch.
- Tutino’s cooking, while rooted in tradition, features updated French Bistro favorites. “We change our menu daily and, of course, seasonally, and have always used locally sourced produce, cheeses, meats and fish as available,” said Witkin.
- Verjus has been very favorably reviewed over the years by The New York Times, the Zagat Guide, the Star-Ledger and Inside Jersey Magazine, among others.
- Every year since 2007, Verjus has been designated as one of the “Top 25 Critics Choice” Restaurants by New Jersey Monthly Magazine in its August issue.
- Opentable Diners Choice Award 2016
- Trip Advisor 2015 Certificate of Excellence
Call for ressrvations at 973-378-8990 or visit opentable.com.
Verjus Restaurant, 1790 Springfield Avenue, Maplewood, NJ.